While I absolutely love doing custom desserts, when I’m invited out to brunch with my girls I don’t want to spend HOURS making custom cookies or shaping fondant into cupcake toppers. Sometimes I just want to bake from the heart and spend as little time in the kitchen as possible. If you follow me online you know I’m a Starbucks junkie, so I figured I would try out some coffee cakes! You know those yummy treats that you eat with coffee but they don’t actually have coffee in them lol.
My favorite time of year is Fall. Summer is too hot and Winter is too cold. Spring = POLLEN. So by default Fall and I are like the best of friends. I love the smell of Fall. Like I love smelling cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, and star anise to name a few. I know it’s currently Spring. Although it feels like Fall right now I’m in the mood for something yummy.
This cinnamon and apple coffee cake could be used with any type of apple I suppose. Honestly, I only like two kinds of apples. Granny Smith and Honey Crisp. That’s all! Seriously. And honey crisp apples are way too expensive to be baking with (haha). Most of my recipes use Granny Smith apples. They are delicious year round and the tartness of the apples is a beautiful contrast to the brown sugar and spices being added to this recipe.
I’d love to know your variations! Drop me a comment and let me know what you think?
- 17 ounces (1 package) cinnamon swirl quick bread coffee cake mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup egg whites (or 4 egg whites)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup finely chopped Granny Smith Apples
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- Spray 13*9 baking pan with non stick cooking spray
- Remove cinnamon swirl packet from mix and set aside
- Beat quick break mix, water, egg whites and vanilla on medium high speed in electric mixer.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Spread apples evenly over batter
- Sprinkle with cinnamon swirl mix.
- Bake for 22 mins or until toothpick comes out clean
- Remove cake and allow to rest on wire rack for 15 mins.
- Cut into desired number of slices (16) and serve warm or at room temp.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.