Prepare sweet and chocolatey Oreo Sticky Buns with this fun and easy recipe. You won’t need much to make an irresistible dessert for your loved ones to enjoy.
What Are Sticky Buns?
Sticky buns consist of sweet dough rolled to perfection with a glaze on top. Some sticky buns contain a sweet filling that makes the dessert taste even better. With the Oreo Sticky Buns, you’ll add a cream cheese filling with Oreo cookies included and then drizzle the perfect glaze on top to complete it! You can eat these buns for breakfast or dessert, whichever you prefer.
Oreo Sticky Buns Ingredients
Prepare the Oreo Sticky Buns using these essential ingredients:
- All-Purpose Flour. Scoop and level the flour before you use it.
- Instant Yeast. Get your sticky buns to rise with no problem by including yeast in your mixture.
- Unsalted Butter. Melt the butter down before you mix it with your flour and yeast.
- Crushed Oreos. You’ll give the dough even more flavor by adding some crushed cookies to the mix.
- Cream Cheese. Use two packages of cream cheese to create a sweet and delicious filling.
You’ll also need whole milk, granulated sugar, an egg, and salt to prepare the Oreo Sticky Buns with the cream cheese filling.
How do I crush the Oreos for these sticky buns?
You have a few options when crushing the Oreo cookies to make these sticky buns. You can toss them into a food processor to chop them into smaller pieces. If you don’t have a food processor, consider using a blender. If you don’t have a blender, you can still crush the cookies with ease. Place them in a plastic food storage bag, seal the bag shut, and roll a rolling pin over the cookies to crush them.
Why do I need cream cheese?
The cream cheese gets transformed into a delicious filling for your Oreo Sticky Buns. You’ll need to mix it with unsalted butter, sugar, and crushed pieces of Oreo cookies to give it that incredible taste. When using cream cheese, you can choose any brand. However, you’ll need to make sure you have at least two 8 oz. packages of it.
How do I make a glaze for these Oreo Sticky Buns?
Prepare the sweet glaze for your Oreo Sticky Buns by combining unsalted butter with powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. If you don’t have heavy cream, you can substitute it with milk.
How long will the buns need to bake in the oven?
These buns don’t need to bake too long. It’s important to let them bake in the oven for at least 30 minutes before you remove them and set them aside to cool down. Between prep time, rest time, and bake time, you can expect to have these Oreo Sticky Buns ready to eat in less than two hours.
Do I add the glaze to the Oreo Sticky Buns immediately?
After you pull the sticky buns out of the oven, allow them to cool for about 15 minutes while you prepare the perfect glaze. Once they’ve cooled for a minimum of 15 minutes, you can add the glaze on top.
Oreo Sticky Buns
- 8*8 pan
- Joseph rolling pin
- Bench scraper
- Stand mixer with dough attachment
- Plastic wrap or towels
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour, scooped and leveled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup crushed Oreos
- 2 8oz packages of cream cheese, room temp
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup crushed Oreos
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Place the egg in a bowl of warm water to bring to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add flour, packet of yeast and salt.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup warm milk and butter for 60 seconds.
- Add granulated sugar and stir. Return to microwave for 30 sec.
- The mixture should be warm to the touch but not hot.
- Gradually add the liquid mixture to the flour mixtures on medium speed using the dough hook until it comes together.
- Remove the egg from the water, crack and add to the dough.
- Mix on low speed until a sticky ball of dough forms.
- Once the ball forms move up to a medium speed and knead for 3 mins until the dough becomes more elastic.
- Begin adding in the last 1/2 to 1 cup of flour 1 tbsp at a time until the dough is no longer sticking to the side of the bowl*(If it’s a lot of moisture in the air you may need a full cup of flour, start with 1/2 cup first)
- After all flour is added add in the 1/2 cup crushed Oreos and mix on medium speed until incorporated.
- If the dough has not formed into a ball add some flour to your hands and take the dough out of the mixer and gently knead into a ball. *it should not be super sticky. If it is you did not add enough flour*=
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a warm, damp towel and let the dough rest for 10 mins.
- Make the filling by adding all ingredients to a bowl and mixing until smooth.
- After ten mins Roll the dough out into a generously floured surface.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle approximately 12*18 inch and 1/2 CM thickness. (Using a Joseph rolling pin help ensure the thickness is the same)
- Spread on the filling. Completely covering the dough.
- Roll the dough as tight as you can length ways.
- Cut into 9 equal sections and place into 8*8 pan
- Rest covered for 30 mins near the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 mins or until rolls are golden brown.
- Place butter in a bowl w powdered sugar.
- Add in 2 tbsp whole milk or heavy cream and mix until smooth.
- Let rolls cool 10-15 min then drizzle glaze over rolls.
- Garnish with extra Oreos and serve warm.